Life at the Mauldin House

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Complete and total UPHEAVAL

Ok...so the reason I have not posted since 8/31, my life was basically turned upside down the week after Labor Day. The principal at Magill found out we lost 13 or so teacher points, major boo boo, and told me the program I was teaching was being cut. Then, she told me I was being "displaced". I still don't get why and how, but I was officially displaced after teaching at Magill for 12 years....yes, TWELVE. So, I had to frantically find a new job for myself, which I did, at R.D. Head. It is still part-time, but I have to work everyday. I didn't want to pull Sam out of Magill, he is doing so well...he is already reading! So, I put him on the bus every morning, have about 2 hours with Maddie, drop her off with mom just in time for her nap, and head to Head. I teach writing for a few hours (4 1/2 per day to be exact) and head home, pick up Maddie and rush home to get Sam off the bus. Not exactly my dream days....but it is working for now. I am very sad I had to leave so many of my friends at Magill, so sad to leave all the great kids, and so sad to leave Sam there without me. After all, I stayed there for so long so he could be there with me and in our home school district. I have been job sharing with a friend for several years now, we feel like we are getting divorced! She is at another school too....all alone. It wasn't pretty, but it is getting better. I love the people at Head, and the kids, but it is lonely to be the new teacher who only works part-time. It makes it very hard to get to know anyone. So I am pretty sad these days, and trying to adjust, and trying to prove myself...I am not guaranteed a job for next year anywhere.....ugh. I never had to deal with this kind of stuff before this year. The worst part was, literally the night before I got "fired" ( I really wasn't fired, but it sure felt like that), I was scratching Sam's back putting him to bed, and he said, "Mommy, I am so glad you work at my school." UGH....sword through the heart. I have cried A LOT, and now I am just coping on a day to day basis. If you are thinking of commenting, "Everything happens for a reason", don't....I know....and I know God has a plan....but right now I am just having a pity party. :(

4 Comments:

  • At 2:31 PM, Blogger Cindy said…

    Bridget - I am so sorry. That just sucks!!!!!!!!!!!! Completely. I worked in Gwinnett County schools for about 5 months and had to move schools. I hated it. I got hired by one principal for one job, and then I had to switch to a principal who would have NEVER hired me and do a job that I would have never wanted to do.

    You know, when I finally quit my job early this year, it was because about 10 things were pointing to me quitting. I think God kept sending signals for me to quit and be home with my kids, and I kept ignoring them, but finally the 10th one was the one that pushed me over.

    Or maybe this means you need to move to Camp Creek district, teach there, and come back to our church.

     
  • At 7:58 AM, Blogger Bridget said…

    Yes, it sucks. I do think God's hand was directly pointing me to this school, it is small and wonderful. But, as you said, it is hard. My principal hired me, I wasn't "placed", so that helps. And, she is fabulous.....so we shall see. I figure God will have the opportunity to send me a more tell tale message in February/March when I find out about next year. I wish I could stay home in some ways, but in others I love being involved now that Sam is there. It allows me to hand pick his teachers, etc. So....I don't know. I miss Mountain Park, our old class...but we are in a great church now too. That helps! Pray for me!

     
  • At 5:19 PM, Blogger Cindy said…

    Mtn Park isn't the same at all, but we love our sunday school class and Mrs. Debbie. Our class has about 140 on roll, so it's a lot different than our old one. Having my kids under Mrs. Debbie is the most important part.

    Staying home has been so hard, so I'm not really recommending it. Part time was great for me. I would imagine it would be even greater if you worked school hours, so you could be off when your kids are off.

    I'll keep you in my prayers.

     
  • At 10:34 AM, Blogger mk said…

    That's awful!! I'm glad you were able to find something else, even if it means having to work every day. I know what it's like to have your job changed without notice - I'm sure you'll find a way to make this work for all of you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home